Yes! It’s finally December so we can actually embrace Christmas fully and openly. For a few weeks now, we’ve been playing Christmas music on the sly, buying Christmas chocolate and gifts, putting cinnamon on everything, and looking up at the lights on Oxford Street. We even had a mince pie in November. It was sacrilege and we apologise. But now – no apologies – we’re ready. And to show our readiness, we’ve made you a very special pudding. It’s sort of like a sticky toffee pudding but with less faff and more walnuts. No steaming and it takes half an hour to bake. And as we know very well, the less time you have to cook something, the quicker you get to eat it!
It’s a cute twist on your favourite gooey sponge pudding – adding the date syrup and walnuts adds a magical, yummy Christmas touch. Once baked, it looks like a cake…until you dig your spoon in to reveal a squidgy pudding and hot date syrup on the bottom! Spoons at the ready – don’t forget the vanilla ice cream/custard/double cream.
Serves 2 (you and your favourite person)
3 tbsp golden syrup
3 tbsp date syrup
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
75g butter, softened
75g soft dark brown sugar
pinch of salt
75g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp milk
10 walnut halves, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 160C (fan assisted).
- Butter a small baking dish and add the golden syrup and date syrup to it. Mix with a spoon and make sure the bottom of the dish is fully covered. (You can add a bit more if you’re feeling naughty!)
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. If the mixture is not of dropping consistency, add a bit more milk until it is.
- Drop the mixture into the baking dish and smooth over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Enjoy immediately with some vanilla ice cream!
So what do you think? Feel free to share your questions and comments below! We’d love to hear what you have to say.
It sounds real good and am going to try it during the festive season and will let you know how it came out.
Thank you! We hope it works out for you!
Please do! 🙂