Like many people, we’re interested in alternate ways of eating. Just take a look at our Flourless Pizza for example. No flour AND you get to sneak in a vegetable and pretend you’re eating something naughty. So we’re doing it again, but with a well-known breakfast food: pancakes. We’re not strict Paleo eaters but we do appreciate a lower-carb lifestyle on the whole. After a long week of eating virtuous porridge every morning, we look forward to letting loose on the weekend. But in the run up to Christmas, we want to make sure we leave a little extra room in our jeans for all the Yummy that awaits.
Our hack involves replacing the flour with dessicated coconut, banana and almond butter and removing the milk. So you get added protein, good fats, fibre and natural sweetness. Of course, if you want added sweetness, feel free to pour on some organic, unprocessed maple syrup – we did! We also made them mini-sized, perfect for a little snack as well.
For 1 person (makes about 10 tiny pancakes)
1 tsp desiccated coconut
1 small banana
1 tsp vanilla extract/essence
1 tbsp almond butter (or you could use peanut butter)
- Mash the banana and thoroughly mix in all the other ingredients.
- Heat a frying pan and melt about half a teaspoon of butter.
- Pour about a tablespoon or so into the hot pan for each pancake (I could fit three on our pan). Flip (carefully) when the edges are browned.
- Remove from pan when both sides are browned.
- Eat with honey/maple syrup/yogurt/fruit.
So what do you think? Feel free to share your questions and comments below! We’d love to hear what you have to say.