Can you believe that this pizza is absolutely flourless? And can you believe that the crust is actually made of….cauliflower? Yes it’s true! We were trawling the foodie internet world some time ago and came across this amazing concept. We couldn’t wait to try it! And sure, it doesn’t taste exactly like regular pizza, but when you’ve got a craving, this is an absolutely wonderful substitute. In fact, it’s probably wonderful for your waistline too, so we wouldn’t feel too bad reaching for another slice! Mmmmmm.
The whole process is simple and takes less time than making a regular pizza. (Though not as quick as dialling Domino’s, obviously.) You process cauliflower florets into “rice”, steam the mixture and then combine with parmesan, egg and your choice of seasoning. You press the resulting dough into a pizza shape, add toppings and bake. Voila! Now go wow your friends 🙂
Makes 1 big pizza
1 very large head of cauliflower, broken up into florets
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
7 tbsp Pecorino Romano, grated
2 tbsp green pesto
1 beef tomato, sliced
125g light mozzarella, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan assisted).
- Put the cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse into “rice”.
- Steam the rice in a sieve over simmering water.
- Place the “rice” into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, garlic, pepper, oregano, salt and Pecorino Romano and mix thoroughly into a dough (sort of).
- Press the mixture into a pizza shape onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Take the pizza out of oven and spread the pesto onto the pizza.
- Lay the slices of tomato and mozzarella on the pizza.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the mozzarella is melted.
- Take out of the oven and enjoy!
So what do you think? Feel free to share your questions and comments below! We’d love to hear what you have to say.