(How cute is this little fillet?)
So here’s where we let you in on a fantastic mackerel recipe, truly the best way (in our opinion) to cook and eat this wonderful oily (omega 3s!), slightly salty fish.
When we were growing up, we weren’t wild about fish. I mean, we were generally seriously picky eaters. But our granny’s tandoori mackerel was the exception. Probably because we’re north Indian and we’re naturally hard-wired to love tandoori. Tandoori anything. It’s so delicious! (And probably, really healthy.)
It’s such a simple way to cook meat – just make a marinade using tandoori powder and oil or yoghurt and grill until cooked. We’ve been helping our granny and mother cook tandoori since we were young – that’s how easy it is. But our granny would also include her secret not-so-traditional not-so-secret ingredient: soy sauce. We don’t know, it just works!
Try it, especially if you’re not a fish lover!
Makes 5 fillets of tandoori mackerel
1 fresh mackerel, sliced in 5 parts
1 tbsp tandoori powder
1 tbsp light olive oil
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
- Place the mackerel pieces in a bowl. Add the the tandoori powder, oil, ginger-garlic paste, soy sauce and seasoning.
- Rub the marinade into the pieces and make sure each piece of mackerel is covered.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place the mackerel pieces on a baking sheet, lined with foil.
- Grill for 5-10 minutes before turning the mackerel pieces over with tongs and grilling for a further 5 minutes.
- Enjoy or refrigerate for up to 2 days. Yum!
So what do you think? Feel free to share your questions and comments below! We’d love to hear what you have to say.